Happy summer everyone! Can you believe that we are already almost halfway through summer now?? YIKES! I love Autumn, but I am just not ready for that yet.
I wanted to share my summer must-haves for both me and my preschooler. I’m listing some really great products and brands here that I’m sure you will love too!
Post contains affiliate links which means I get a tiny commission if you make a purchase through any of these links. There is no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting New Momma Survival blog ! One product was given to me complimentary of Influenster to review and give my honest opinion. All opinions are my own. Read my full disclaimer here.
- The Honest Company bug Spray is a new favorite for us . This is the first year that it’s been “buggy” in Denver since I moved here over 5 years ago ! I still very very rarely get bit but my son occasionally does and so does a lot of the kiddos I babysit. This is an all-natural Bug spray with organic lemongrass , rosemary oil, geranium oil, peppermint oil, cedar wood oil, and citronella oil. I HATE deet. Besides the nasty chemicals used , the smell gives me a terrible headache. This stuff smells great ! Like fresh lemongrass! [amazon_link asins=’B015HTJ8E2′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’63b8a8ad-58f4-11e7-8adc-db2a666819cf’]
- Our go-to sunscreen for Liam was always Babyganics. Though I still love Babyganics, I have just recently discovered the BEST children’s sunscreen ever!! I let my friend Lyndsi try it out on her preschooler too, and she went and bought herself a bottle online, right then and there. So what is so great about this sunscreen anyways? First of all, it is a light non-greasy formula, which means it is easier and faster to blend into the skin. And I know I am not the only one that sometimes has to hold down my child just to slather on some SPF, so quick application is a must. The other great thing is that it doesn’t have a heavy “sunscreen” smell that I hate. It’s just a light and fresh scent that doesn’t bother me or my son. A little goes a long way so I know this bottle will last me all summer long. It is also gentle enough for my son’s sensitive skin. So this one gets five stars from me ! I am recommending this one to everyone.[amazon_link asins=’B01MR6N3PL’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’89447807-67d5-11e7-9d6e-65f40079a9ae’]
- A good pair of shades is always a must as my eyes have always been extremely sensitive to light. Though I do have several cheap pairs of sunglasses, I prefer a pair that actually protects against UVA and UVB rays from the very strong Colorado sun. It’s also important to get good shades for your kiddos too but can be hard to find a pair that has real UVA/UVB protection. You can find some great ones on Amazon! Here are a few of my favorites: [amazon_link asins=’B071QWK9TM,B06W2LSL5C,B071RKB3DN’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3e8453c8-5b6a-11e7-83f2-b59909f1d395′]
- I use to be obsessed with hats when I was younger and then randomly I felt I looked odd in hats… but my hat obsession is back and I am loving floppy straw hats to protect my face from the sun and to pull an outfit together! I’m loving these on Amazon [amazon_link asins=’B06WP55GNN,B06XMQXJM6′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2ce582d5-58f5-11e7-ad7c-73dd6f8e9380′]
- Chapstick is everywhere I go ! I have one in each room … seriously . I usually have at least two or three in my purse. I’ve always had dry lips and I’ve learned that if I keep them everywhere I look, then I can remember to keep applying throughout the day. My favorites are… [amazon_link asins=’B005KG7V3I,B00PFXSN9M,B00HMDX1IQ’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’9dc8bece-58f5-11e7-982e-13034b1c4186′]
- Again with dry skin… do you see a pattern here ?? A good facial moisturizer is so important! Something with natural ingredients, preferably anti-aging and that smells fresh. My two favorites are …[amazon_link asins=’B01GCJ6L4Q,B00Y3CXA6C’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0afe0c83-58f6-11e7-b92a-8dd05ec5e5c8′]
- For some reason, I only seem to get puffy eyes in the summer. I’m guessing it’s because of seasonal allergies but it also could be because I get way less sleep during the summer months. I adore The Body Shop Pomegranate Firming and Refreshing Eye roll-on to cool and de-puff my eyes. I will also keep a spoon in the fridge door to gently place under my eyes for a few seconds in the A.M. [amazon_link asins=’B00HCNX26M’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’340e7098-58f6-11e7-b696-175644068827′]
- I’m sure I am not alone when I say I am a bit more smelly in the summer … am I right ?😂 It’s hot, I’m running around and I sweat more. Obvious, right ? Finding a natural deodorant that actually works can be difficult ! I used the Toms brand and Jason brand for years but had to constantly reapply throughout the day. I’ve discovered an awesome new brand called Humble and I was lucky enough to try both the lavender deodorant and the cedar wood . People- I am in love . It really works all day ! It Smells amazing (who doesn’t love lavender) and I really like that it doesn’t apply wet and slippery. It’s a dry , thick formula that seems to actually moisturizer my underarms without drying out. I have been telling ALL my friends about this stuff ! #winning! [amazon_link asins=’B0711SYJFJ’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’9bc50a0e-58f6-11e7-aa38-b5c97c96a3e3′]
- Since I live in sandals for long as possible, I always want my toes looking great. I always use Jamberry products whenever I can because the nail wraps seem to last forever on toes and the lacquers are 8 free (No Formaldehyde, DBP, Toluene, Formaldehyde Resin, Camphor, Ethyl Tosylamide, TPHP, Xylene) so I can feel better about what I am using. Especially when you have teething little ones that want to chew on your fingers! You can check out all that Jamberry has to offer here . (Nail wraps are buy three get one free too!) My favorite lacquers and nail wraps right now are ..
10. Speaking of sandals …. I may have more than a few pairs …. like, I am a bit obsessed. I wouldn’t say I’m a “shoe girl ” unless we are talking about sandals. I am all about comfort , style and how versatile they can be. I really hate wearing socks and I would prefer to just be barefoot whenever I can, and sandals is the next closest thing! The sandals I bought from Target for this summer are…
- Jana Quarter Strap Sandals by Merona
- Karina Leather Braided Heeled Huarache Sandals
- Jewel Thong Sandals-Mossimo
- Prudence Footbed Sandals
11. A great big bag to hold all my junk. Every summer I always end up needing a huge bag everywhere I go. Trips to the zoo, park and pool mean I’m bringing snacks , sunscreen, a towel or picnic blanket, toys , water bottles , extra clothes and then of course all my things ! If you head to Etsy you can find some really great customizable diaper bags that are unique and super functional ! I found this beauty at https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyEthicalWardrobe. They have different styles and sizes but I have my eye on this one.
Another great Etsy find is this shop called Bag Envy. Again, you can customize the bag to fit your needs and there are lots of cute fabrics to choose from!
While I was in the mountains last week on a little vacation I found an awesome bag from a little store called The Mountain Gal in Grand Lake,CO. ( I am working on trying to find out the brand of this bag!) It has a funky print, long straps and its huge. The only thing missing is more pockets. There is only one little pocket, which is a bummer. But while on this trip I fit two rolled up beach towels, a swim suit, my wallet, a couple of toys, my cosmetics pouch and some snacks. That is what I am TALKING ABOUT! I also love that the lining in this bag is easily washable. I won’t be using this as my every day bag as it’s a bit too big, but it is the perfect bag for picnics and going to the beach.
12. Waterproof mascara is an essential ! I usually just wear it everywhere in the summer because I never know if we might head to the pool in the afternoon or have a spontaneous water balloon fight / slip n slide session. I love the Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara and CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Waterproof Mascara.[amazon_link asins=’B00PFCT036,B001MW8IVS’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f5b01069-67d9-11e7-ba9a-99b83a92f9bc’]
13. A refreshing facial mist is always in my bag . I recently made my own Rose water facial mist which you can read about HERE but if you aren’t much of a DIYr you should check out the Eau Thermale Avene Thermal Spring water and an organic rosewater spray. These sprays are so great to freshen up your face and neck throughout the day, after a day at the beach or the gym, in the morning after washing your face …. it feels amazing to spritz a cool, soothing mist onto your face on a hot summer day ![amazon_link asins=’B002D48QUC,B00YMMENPK’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ea883cc9-58f8-11e7-acbb-11c470b43bae’]
14. A good tinted moisturizer is a must for me when I am at the pool, camping, hiking, or even just running to the store. I don’t always wear foundation but I rarely leave the house without at least a tinted moisturizer. I like mine to be lightweight with medium coverage and SPF. My favorite right now is the Jouer Matte Moisture Tint Sunscreen in the color nude. It is oil-free,fragrance-free and has SPF 15. I layer this one over my regular facial moisturizer because my skin is so dry. I love that it has a matte finish because most products like these I have to set with a powder to get rid of that shine. [amazon_link asins=’B009K71TJK’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’Newmommasurvival’ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0101f125-67dc-11e7-a775-f97c131bf134′]
I hope you enjoyed my list of some of my favorite summer products ! Thanks for stopping by!
Have a beautiful day